The first lesson is on us. Right here, right now.
When you perform, if you are not having fun…nobody else is either. Your stage presence is infectious. Find your style, be yourself, and have fun. It’s contagious.
Testing…Testing…1, 2, 3, 4. Ok, no…not that kind of counting. In this lesson, we teach you how to count like a DJ. Understanding this skill will pave the way for all of this good stuff to follow.
Serato DJ – The tried and true performance software of DJs. Having been in the industry long enough, we know DJs who use other platforms like Traktor and Virtual DJ. If you are interested in learning either of these platforms, let us know, and we will make arrangements to bring in the experts in the industry. Otherwise, Serato is the primary platform that we teach.
Ableton – If you have interest in creating your own custom DJ edits, remixes, or if you have a desire to produce music, Ableton is a really great place to start. Plenty of producers use other software such as FL Studio, Live, etc., but we only teach what we know. For this reason, we stick with Ableton for your production needs. If curious minds want to know what we have produced using Ableton, check out MR X’s original music.
Currently teaching using the following equipment:
- Technics 1210 M3D Turntables
- Ortofon Nightclub Needles
- Shure M44 Needles
- Novation Dicers
- Denon DN-X500 Mixer
- Serato Control Vinyl
- EDM Vinyl Collection (actual analog 12″ records)
The tried and true, undisputed champion, Technics 12000’s. As the saying goes, “know your roots.” We teach our students from the ground up with real vinyl, needles, and of course Tech 12s. Learn the basics from balancing a tonearm and beat matching, through complex techniques like scratching.
Currently teaching using the following consoles:
- Pioneer SX3
- Roland DJ 808
- Rane One
Currently teaching using the following midi devices:
- Novation Dicers
- Novation Launchpad Pro
- Akai MPK49
- Set Planning – Learn about our proven method to organize your music.
- Cue Points – Cue points are helpful for a number of reasons. Together, we will explore how to use cue points to improve your performance.
- Serato Flip – Learn how to use Flip mode to clean up those F bombs, skip a verse, and turn your extended tracks into short DJ edits.
- Beat-matching – The hallmark DJ skill that allows you to seamlessly blend tracks together.
- Key/Pitch – What is it? Why it matters, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- Crossfading – Whether you want to use the cross-fader or the volume up-fader, we teach you how to properly use is during your set.
- Mixing between genres – Blending genres can be tricky. We teach you some tried and true techniques to help you mix sets that have variety.
- Cueing – Know how to put your headphones or IEM to use by teaching your brain to listen to two music sources at the same time.
- Sampling – (Cue the air horn) but not too often PLEASE! We teach you how to color in your set with subtle samples like white noise, to the quintessential air-horn blast.
- Beat Juggling – Learn how DJs achieved this in the 70s and how to use modern equipment to bounce between the same track creating a loop.
- EQ – Using the EQ to add depth and clarity to your mix. Here we’ll also discuss sonic space and how to prevent your mix from sounding muddy.
- FX – Like sampling, use this in your set to keep things interesting and unique. Learn techniques that can be used throughout your set.
- Loop Roll – Learn to create a loop, chop it, and shift it so that your next mix comes in exactly where you want it.
- Slicing – Learn how to remix live by using pads to slice up your track.
- Scratching – No, we have not competed in the DMC, but we can teach you a thing or two about scratching on vinyl and on digital controllers.
Emergency Planning – It doesn’t matter if you are Skrillex, Marshmello, or DJ Jazzy Jeff…at some point in your DJ career things will go wrong. During this session we teach you how to be prepared for anything and what to do when things don’t go your way. You will learn what gear to pack, how to keep the party going, and tips to mix out of a track earlier than you had originally planned.
Bring in the experts – By the time you get to this level, we bring in other DJs in the industry based on which skills are most important to you. Whatever it is, we likely know the right person to teach you those skills. We will contract the right DJ for the job.
Failure is part of success. Learning to fail, fearlessly, comes with time and patience. We work to build your confidence so that when something doesn’t go your way, you fix it and keep your head up.
Confidence – If you build it, they will come. You could have all of the skills necessary to get the job done, but do you have what it takes to engage an audience? DJ’ing and Performance are related for sure…but knowing how to perform will enhance your ability as a DJ. Performance includes comfortably using a microphone and using it to your advantage. Performance is about personality. Your body language is everything! Do not, and we repeat, DO NOT get lost in your laptop. Put your phone down! Focus on the crowd, look up, and pay attention. For some people, being able to perform in front of an audience is comes naturally. For others, not so much. Did you know that speaking in front of an audience is one of the most common phobias? Imagine speaking and performing at the same time…it can be scary and downright stressful. Let us teach you what you need to know to approach an audience for any type of event, large or small.
Some events require more interaction than others. For example, let’s assume for a moment that your next event will be held at a Hotel. More specifically, this hotel is providing their guests a DJ every Saturday afternoon. They hire you for the event. Aside from playing music, how are you going to interact with the crowd? People are swimming, some are drinking by the bar, others are dancing in their cabana. This is the perfect time for you to go above and beyond playing music and really connect with your audience. In this lesson, we teach you how to do that. Learn our tried and true techniques which include a scavenger hunt, hula hoops, the limbo, dance competitions, and more.